Grilled Cheese Croutons and Tomato Soup
There is nothing Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup can't fix. So you better believe, we've discovered the secret to the best bowl of tomato soup out there.
Ingredients for Soup:
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 large white onion finely chopped
- 1 large clove garlic smashed and peeled
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 3 cups Zoup! Good Really Good® Chicken Broth
- 28- oz. can whole peeled tomatoes puréed (include the juice)
- 1-1/2 tsp. sugar
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 3 Tbsp. sliced fresh basil
Ingredients for Grilled Cheese:
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 4 slices of bread of choice
- 8 slices of cheddar cheese
Directions for Soup:
- Heat the oil and butter over medium-low heat until the butter melts. Add the onion and garlic for 8 minutes or until soft.
- Add the flour and stir to coat the onion and garlic.
- Add the Zoup! Good, Really Good Broth, tomatoes, sugar, thyme, and 1/4 tsp. each salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes. Discard the thyme sprig.
- Let cool and then purée in a blender or food processor. Return the soup to the pot and serve warm.
Directions for Grilled Cheese:
- Preheat pan over medium heat.
- Butter one side of a slice of bread. Place bread butter-side-down onto pan bottom and add 2 slices of cheese. Butter a second slice of bread on one side and place butter-side-up on top of sandwich.
- Grill until lightly browned and flip over; continue grilling until cheese is melted. Repeat with remaining 2 slices of bread, butter and slice of cheese.
- Once sandwiches are complete, cut into small cubes to top your soup with. Alternately, you can cut them into strips for easy dunking.
We hope you enjoy your Grilled Cheese Croutons and Tomato Soup cooked with Zoup! Good, Really Good Chicken Broth! Be sure to check out our social pages to stay up to date with all things Zoup! Good, Really Good.